INTERVIEW: Anna from Mochimochi Land


Photo credited to David Rasura and Helene Park   
 
Tell us a little about yourself...

I'm originally from Oklahoma, and now I live in Brooklyn with my husband and two orange cats. If I could be someone else, I'd want to be Tina Fey.


What sort of crafts do you make and how long you have been making them?

I've been knitting for about 10 years or so, and I've been knitting only toys for the past four years. Some of my designs become patterns, some are just for fun, and some turn into artwork. I've also been doing a bit of cross-stitch in the past couple of years. And I have a lovely sewing machine that is sadly never used. 


What does your workspace look like and what is your work time schedule for the things you make?

My workspace is a beautiful white desk in a corner of my bedroom, with a drawer full of yarn on the right and a drawer full of polyester stuffing on the left. It's usually a big mess of yarn and needles, but I try to keep things relatively tucked away from the cats. Designing knitted toys and other stuff is pretty much a full-time gig for me right now, so that means I'm usually knitting or working on patterns seven days a week. I love the flexibility that working on my own gives me, though I rarely take an entire day off! 

Inspiration, where does yours come from? Any favorite artists or people/groups you admire?

I get inspiration from all kinds of stuff - Dr. Seuss, Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Hello Kitty, the grocery store, and rhymes and cliches, to name a few.

I took a class with Jenny Hart of Sublime Stitching five years ago, and she really inspired me to take my creativity to big places. Other crafters and artists that I love are Jenny Harada, Ninon, APAK, Kristen Rask of Schmancy, and tons more. I also have a big character crush on Friends with You. 






http://www.friendswithyou.com/
 
Photo from Knitting Mochimochi  and credited to Brandi Simons
 
 Do you have any tips you could give to beginners that dabble in your sort of crafts?

I think knitters sometimes feel they have to have something all planned out before they start knitting. But with toys, I've found it can be rewarding to experiment and learn from mistakes. And if you end up with a lopsided creature, it's just all the more cute!

Photo credited to David Rasura and Helene Park
 
Where can we find you?

1 comment:

  1. excellent! She has inspired me to learn to knit... although I haven't had a great deal of success YET! :) Thanks for the interview

    ReplyDelete