INTERVIEW: Heidi Kenny from My Paper Crane!





Tell us a little about yourself...


Hello, I am Heidi Kenney a 33 year old plush maker living in Pennsylvania. My favorite color is green, and my favorite food is probably baked ziti. I am a thrift shop addict, and share a collection of Alice In Wonderland books with my husband. We have two boys ages 7 and 15.



What sort of crafts do you make and how long you have been making them?

I make a lot of plush, but I also dabble in other things too like little things made from cut paper, fabric design, and I used to even spin my own yarn.



What does your workspace look like and what is your work time schedule for the things you make?



My studio is the third floor of our house. it used to be an unfinished attic but half of it was finished off, and now it works perfectly for a studio. I have lots of shelves of fabric, bins of paper, and finished plush. It can get really messy when I am in the midst of a sewing frenzy, but since it is on the 3rd floor it is easy to just close the door.



Inspiration, where does yours come from? Any favorite artists or people/groups you admire?
My kids are always a big inspiration, they always like to add their input on anything new I am making. I love vintage toys, paper, and books. I have quite a ever growing collection of vintage children's books.


Mary Blair, Henry Darger, and Richard Scarry, are amazingly inspirational. There are so many amazing people I've met through the shows I've done, and they all inspire me. Plush wise I love my friend Jenny Harada. Design wise husband and wife duo Somethings Hiding In Here (Shauna and Stephen) constantly blow me away. Painting and drawing Miss Emily from The Black Apple. Of course there are a million more, this list could go on and on!


Do you have any tips you could give to beginners that dabble in your sort of crafts?

Don't worry so much about making mistakes, or your first few projects not coming out the way you want them to. Like all good things -practice makes perfect. Enjoy the process, and try not to stress yourself out. I think making things should be fun, relaxing, and should inspire you! If your stressing out over the finished project that can sometimes take away from the joy you might get from the process. Take the pressure off yourself to be good at something the first time you try it. Instead realize that you might make mistakes, but don't let it stop you from trying again and again simply for the joy of making.



Where can we find you?





2 comments:

  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by milky robot, milky robot. milky robot said: INTERVIEW: Heidi Kenny from My Paper Crane! http://wp.me/pCls7-tD [...]

    ReplyDelete