INTERVIEW: Mel Stringer


Tell us a little about yourself...


I am a 23 year old visual artist and illustrator from Brisbane, Australia. My favourite food is usually something hot and crunchy. My favourite colour is pink! I love puppies and young children.


 


What sort of crafts do you make and how long you have been making them?


First and foremost I enjoy drawing. My second love is photography. Making things look soft and pure and cinematic. Capturing a moment in someone's life where they look peaceful and still. I've been drawing since I was a kid and taking photos since grade 10 but I've only really started enjoying my photos more since investing in a digital SLR and buying loads of vintage and second-hand lenses.


I also needle-felt little animals and make things out of cold porcelain sometimes!



What does your workspace look like and what is your work time schedule for the things you make?


I have a normal, white IKEA work desk where my laptop sits. I usually push it forward and work right in front of it. I love working in front of my laptop while the tv is going, it makes me feel connected to information and the constant colours inspire me. Then I have a huge dinner table where I package orders. As for schedule, I don't really have one. Whatever feels good, really. And if I get too lonely or bored, I journey out to my boyfriend!


Inspiration, where does yours come from? Any favorite artists or people/groups you admire?


There are so many sources! Drawn, tumblr, flickr, my boyfriend Ben Constantine and his artwork, moving through the city, cooking, books, book stores, stationary stores, music like Coldplay, Darren Hanlon, Sally Seltmann, Jeff Buckley, Aaron Roche, Kate York, Jens Lekman, Holly Throsby. Some of my favourite artists are also my friends.. There are too many to name, but they are all a part of this new, amazing movement.


 


Do you have any tips you could give to beginners that dabble in your sort of crafts?


Try to invest in a good camera and take good photos of your things. Also be patient and try to create something unique to you. Embark on projects that involve people, it's really good for the soul!


Where can we find you?


tumblr : http://www.melstringer.tumblr.com
etsy : http://www.girliepains.etsy.com
http://www.sweetlittlefelt.etsy.com
Blogspot : http://www.melstringer.blogspot.com


 

1 comment:

  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jacky Winter, milky robot. milky robot said: INTERVIEW: Mel Stringer http://wp.me/pCls7-qQ [...]

    ReplyDelete