INTERVIEW: Charlotte and Stewart




Tell us a little about yourself...
 
I was born in Toronto and have lived here pretty much my whole life. The winters here are pretty long and grey so there are loads of excuses to stay inside and sew and watch terrible reality television shows. I love Elvis, palm trees, and peanut M&Ms (not in any particular order). 

What sort of crafts do you make and how long you have been making them?  
I’ve been making dollies for about 2 years now, but I’ve been sewing and drawing and painting for as long as I can remember. The first bunch of dolls were made as gifts for my family and friends. It’s a really great feeling to create something tactile that people can squish and love.
 

What does your workspace look like and what is your work time schedule for the things you make?
I live in a pretty teeny apartment so I generally work at a big ol’ table in my living room. I try to keep my fabric in bins stashed under the table, but there’s generally some junk & stuff lying around. I’m a graphic designer in an office 9 to 5, so I spend my weekends sewing. It’s nice to do something with my hands after looking at a computer monitor all week.

Inspiration, where does yours come from? Any favorite artists or people/groups you admire? 
That’s a tough one! It kinda comes from everywhere. I look at a lot of Japanese kids clothes and toys. I spend a lot of time looking at ETSY and lurking the blogs of other crafty folk. There are a ton of cute shops in Toronto (and I do love to shop!). My favourite is called Magic Pony ( http://www.magic-pony.com ) and it carries awesome local and international stuffs, so I try to visit as often as I can.

Do you have any tips you could give to beginners that dabble in your sort of crafts?
Try not to over think it! Just get in there and make stuff you love. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and connect with other people who do what you do.

Where can we find you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment