INTERVIEW: Lisa of Rabbitine & Milktooth



Tell us a little about yourself...

Salutations! My name is Lisa Mirella. I'm 25, and live in Portland, Oregon. I love all of the colors equally but yellow is my secret favorite. (Shh...don't tell the others.) I'm a graphic designer, and painter turned fabric designer. If I'm not making a mess in my studio, I'm probably hunting down vintage toys, or at the dog park with my two canine best friends, Jack and Leela.

Photo credit to Maggie Baird

What sort of crafts do you make and how long you have been making them?

One of my biggest problems is that I make too many things but I try to focus on illustration, painting, and fabric design these days.  I also do freelance graphic design. I've been making art for as long as I can remember! But specifically, I've been a graphic design nerd for 8 years, an illustrator and painter for 22 years, and a fabric designer for 1 year. 

What does your workspace look like and what is your work time schedule for the things you make?

My studio is a room in my apartment which looks like a toy store threw up in it. I have a dedicated area for cutting and folding fabric, my MacBook Pro and Wacom Tablet and usually, a crazy mess of supplies and stacked paintings! To be honest, I'm not much of a regimented schedule person, but when I'm very busy or under a tight deadline, I make a lot of lists and just check them off one-by-one. Otherwise, I just paint as inspiration hits me. I can never force it.
 

Inspiration, where does yours come from? Any favorite artists or people/groups you admire? 

I am inspired by a million different things. I keep a binder full of inspirational images, as well as a folder or two on the desktop of my computer. Lately, I have been throwing these images up on tumblr : www.tumblr.com/rabbitine so that I can come back and look when I'm stuck for ideas.  Many of my favorite artists are also friends and they inspire me daily. I also draw inspiration from the vintage toys that I collect. Some of my favorite artists as of late are Martin Ontiveros, Thomas Han, Sylvia Ji, and Tripper Dungan.

Photo credit to Cindy Russell

Do you have any tips you could give to beginners that dabble in your sort of crafts?

Never let your lack of experience, or self-confidence hold you back. Keep trying even if you make mistakes because even though it may not seem like it at the time, this is how you learn and get better. Research your craft and ask craftsters you admire questions! The worst that can happen is that they don't respond. Other than that I would say, don't try to force your creativity. Never let selling work be your only motivation for making it. If you're not having fun, or trying too hard to make it happen, it will show in your work.


Where can we find you?

Website (illustration & design): www.rabbitine.com
Website (fabric design & blog): www.milk-tooth.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Milktooth-Fabric/119307518125817
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Milktoof
Twitter: www.twitter.com/rabbitine
Tumblr: www.rabbitine.tumblr.com
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/do0m

No comments:

Post a Comment