CAN'T FIND IT, MAKE IT!


Clothes shopping sucks with a capital "S"! I've been drooling over some cute things at Torrid and such, but my wallet is dry heaving right now. So.... I forgot that I had bought 3 yards of some Tula Pink fabric not to long ago and had plans to make a basic gathered skirt but forgot about it. Oop's! I've never made human clothes before, just doll clothes so this was a challenge for me. I'm not used to having that much fabric in front of me unless it's a quilt I'm doing. With that being said, I put my measuring tape around my neck and I made a skirt last night! I made it with way less fabric than I bought as well and only ended up only using 1.5 yards of fabric and I kind of followed this tutorial.


Since the print goes long way, I cut to pieces from the fabric that were 25" (my length roughly) x width of fabric (was 44"). Then I cut my elastic at 3" smaller than my hips, which are 56" normally. I haven't really used my serger much, so this was a great chance to serge the shit out things! I need to use this machine way more often!



I feel so accomplished by making my first piece of clothing! Knowing that it's handmade and you can't buy it at the mall is awesome! I have become instantly addict to sewing clothes for myself now, even if I have only made one skirt so far. Love it!

I have some super cute kitty fabric I want to use for another skirt! Once I get that one sewn up I'll post pictures, if I can find my vintage floral fabric to I'll sew that one up as well!


9 comments:

  1. so dang cute!! i bought some doughnut fabric last week with the intent of making pajama pants for my babies... might have to make myself a skirt instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally do it! It was super fast and easy, I already have the cat print one cut out and have plans to order more fabric for more! I think it will be a skirt summer for me for sure!

      Delete
    2. awesome! i'll post a pic on my dusty old blog and report back :D

      Delete
  2. I just pinned that tutorial last night! How funny! I really want to start making myself clothes. There is so much awesome fabric out there that I want to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ordered 2 new prints for skirts! I'm now obsessed and may even make some for the shop! :D

      Delete
  3. Heh. That reminds me that I have several skirts I need to make. (And learn how to do pattern alterations to make myself shirts and dresses.)

    The skirt is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks awesome *high-five*

    And I LOVE that cat fabric. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome Jess, what tutorial did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! Seeing your serged seams makes me want a serger! It seems like it would cut down the time needed to make a skirt like this quite a lot. I love the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete