Vegan/Vegetarian Talk


This post might be boring for most, so you can totally ignore it if you like. It's about my goals of going veg. I think I talked about it recently and a little before that. Some have emailed me with tips and such, but I can't find any of the emails, ack!

I've been making some new changes in my life and today I decided to take a huge lea[. Last week I cut out all meats except chicken and turkey. After watching the film Vegucated yesterday, I did some major thinking and decided to drop all meats and most dairy right now. I was going to transition slowly into vegetarian but I've decided to just jump in and actually start switching to Vegan. That film really hit me really hard and made me look at things very differently. And no, this is not a diet I am doing before anyone asks or wonders. It's a personal choice that I have been wanting to do for years. Ethics play a big role for me mainly. I never thought I would be able to go Vegan, but right now it seems very clear that my goal is to switch to Veganism.

Some people have emailed or commented in the past that they don't use labels like Vegan and Vegetarian, but I do. To me they are very important to me, but I respect everyone's views.

My biggest hurdle with the switch it cheese, sour cream, Starbucks and taco's. Sound silly, but those are some things that I absolutely love. Cheese might be an easy switch for me since I know there are plenty of cheese alternatives out there. Starbucks may be pretty easy as well, I normally order an iced white mocha. So I can easily switch my drink and add soy since white mocha is not vegan, but I hear their mocha is. As for taco's, I love taco's with a mound of sour cream. I have never tried beans do to the texture thing, I need some bite but I think I could try it out and maybe even try out some mock meats for taco's... sour cream on the other hand, I'm at a loss on what they have out there. I need to do some searching. I plan on doing a huge list on what I love to eat, then make a new list of the alternatives for those things.

Another huge hurdle for me will be yarn and spinning. I knit, crochet and spin yarn. I work with a LOT of wool, so I will need to transition over to acrylic, bamboo, etc. If anyone has any great favorite vegan yarns they would like to share, go for it! I'm picky and normally hate knitting with cotton but have only used a couple brands. I'm a bit of a yarn snob, so feel free to share some "nicer" yarn brands with me lol

So some of the questions or suggestions I'm looking for are:

  1. What are good alternatives for sour cream, Starbucks drinks and cheese?
  2. What vegan yarns do you use and suggest I try?
  3. Also, what multi vitamin do you take? I know not all vegans take them, but until I get a grasp on what I'm doing I would like to take one.
  4. Any blogs or websites do you follow that are vegan? Or IG accounts?
  5. Book suggestions?
  6. Anyone want to take me under their wing and help guide me?! haha! 

Also, if you have emailed me in the past about Vegan, please re-email me! I would love to chat about this and get some new idea's and suggestions! All tips are welcome as well in the comments. I would love to hear from you all. I may not be able to respond, but I do read each and every comment. :)

18 comments:

  1. I'm definitely not a vegan, but I make a great vegan sour cream! I follow this recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/17/how-to-make-cashew-cream/ then add a bit of lemon juice to sour it. It's also a great base for mac and cheese, and spinach dips.

    Some great yarns, Berroco Weekend and Comfort are both lovely to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Just took a look and it looks great! I'll try it out! :D

      Delete
  2. I don't know much about most of this but I know yarn. :P Knit Picks Brava is a my absolute favorite acrylic. They have it in sport, worsted, and bulky weights and they are always adding more colors. I also like their Comfy and Shine cottons. They are SO soft. Blue Sky Alpacas Organic Cottons are super soft too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I haven't tried any of the Knit Picks cottons or acrylics there yet! I tried some from some yarn shops here and there, but can never remember the name but I hated it! lol I know it wasn't any of these. Thanks!! :D

      Delete
  3. there is a good commercial vegan sour cream out there! i can't remember the name but the pkg is vivid green and white & you can find it at whole foods and probs your local co-op.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh..I'll be following your journey! It's something I'm so curious about. I'm not veg, myself, but Vegucated was definitely an eye opener. And you can learn to make a mean almost-Starbucks-tasting latte at home for way less money. (Still working on this myself, but I'm close). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'll be sure to post this journey as I go on the blog! I will need all the cheering to keep me going for sure! That film was so shocking! I need to make my drinks at home as well, badly! I'm without a car during the day and walking to Starbucks in 110 degree heat with a 4 year old and puppy is a no go lol!!

      Delete
  5. I've been veg with vegan flirtations for a while and I have to say I love veganaise as a sour cream stand in, though truth be told I've never been a huge sour cream fan.

    Anyway, onto more useful things. My friend has a vegan blog and she's got loads of helpful resources on there. Also she lives in Phoenix so talks a lot about local eats and local places to get groceries. I'd highly recommend hitting her up for advice, check pout her site, send her a message! here's her site: http://chicosandbeans.blogspot.com/

    For veg and vegan recipes I quite like this site: http://ohmyveggies.com/

    Lastly, quinoa is your friend lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much! I will for sure check her out! I've been online all morning looking up things I currently have to see if it's vegan and what I need to replace as I run out with vegan items. Currently on makeup and most of my stuff is vegan, yay for my wallet lol!

      Delete
  6. i've mentioned it before, but i'm a barista at starbucks. i don't know how far you want to go with your veganism, but i've read that super-refined white sugar isn't vegan (i couldn't site references, though, so that may not be accurate). your best bet might be an iced soy latte, and ask your barista to put a few raw sugars in it (and melt them in the espresso or with a little hot water). good luck, jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Most white sugar is NOT vegan for sure do to the filtering. But the syrups (minus white mocha) are vegan, just not the sauces I found out. I was reading a couple vegan blogs today about Starbucks drinks and I found a couple I think I'll like. I'm excited to try them! Iced vanilla soy latte and iced mocha soy latte (their mocha I found out is vegan, yay!) :)

      Delete
  7. Loved this post! I'm not vegan, but we try to cook vegan more often. A couple of my favorite vegan chefs/bloggers are: Vegan Yack Attack (veganyackattac.com) and Post Punk Kitchen (theppk.com) I've heard that Nutritional Yeast has a taste similar to cheese, great on popcorn and other things. Then, I haven't tried this recipe yet but it looks mighty tasty: Vegan Mac N Cheese (http://ohdeardrea.blogspot.jp/2010/12/food-post.html)

    Looking forward to more updates! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll check out the websites and recipe! I'm going jumping straight in to vegetarianism but going a bit slower with veganism. But I want to start incorporating as much vegan friendly goods in the home as possible as I run out of my things I have now. I'm excited and nervous in this transition! :D

      Delete
  8. I made the switch to a mostly vegan diet about a year and a half ago after watching Vegacated. It was a real eye opener for me. I went strictly vegan for about 6 months, but then has a weird meltdown because I missed having honey on toast when I was sick. Daiya (I think I spelled that correctly) makes a really good shredded cheese substitute that I use in my mac and cheeze. Nutritional yeast will become your bff---it's great on popcorn but I add it to a bunch of other stuff as well. I get a lot of my recipes from vegweb.com. That site also has a bunch of really great ideas/recipes for non-food items as well.

    Now vitamins make a vegan daily vitamin--I've ordered it from Swanson's Vitamins when my local organic store is out.

    Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWesome!! I'll take a look and check out those vitamins as well! :D

      Delete
  9. Yarn...cotton, hemp, linen, etc
    Try the Green Sheep Shop http://www.greensheepshop.com/yarn/type/vegan.html

    Meet fellow vegans, find events, potlucks, etc at vegan meetups
    http://vegan.meetup.com/cities/us/az/mesa/

    Great vegan starter sites...free guides, recipes, food substitutions, tips, links, etc
    http://www.livevegan.org/index.php/getting-started2
    http://vegan.org/eat/
    http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/a-vegans-guide-to-good-nutrition.aspx
    http://features.peta.org/how-to-go-vegan/
    http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/accidentally-vegan.aspx
    http://www.chooseveg.com/
    http://www.exploreveg.org/resources/recipes

    Stop by my blog...lots of links to the most superamazing vegan bloggers (and their recipes) on the planet!
    http://thepeacepatch.blogspot.com/
    Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh these links are perfect! Thanks so much! I'll be spending the next hour checking them out and your blog!! :D

      Delete